17 September 2011

Living in an imperfect world.

Alright so in a perfect world I would have blogged long ago, but since it always seems that someone needs me or there is too much other noise for me to concentrate or the fact that we only have one decently working computer in this house and I have to share it, well I have fallen behind on the blogging. But while I wasn't blogging I was going for bike rides, tickling a certain little boy, feeding people, cleaning things, reading, putting to bed, changing diapers, and well you get the idea.

So I am far from perfect all though I often like to think I am much closer to perfect than I actually am. For example, when Jared and I were first married I always insisted on doing the dishes. Well so did Jared. We would argue over who Got to do the dishes. His reasoning: because he loves me and wants to do it for me, it's his way of showing appreciation for dinner. And it still is. My reason: Cause well I did enjoy it, however I really didn't want him to cause I didn't think he did it well enough. haha, I'm a jerk. But now since I have matured a little I truly appreciate that he does the dishes even if the tops of my pot lids don't get the best cleaning. And I have even come to accept the fact that sometimes when I find a kinda dirty "clean" dish, that I could have very well been the one to "wash" it, gasp* shocker I know. I am slowly realizing, although I don't admit it often if ever,  that I do not do everything perfectly.

And on that note I am now going to give myself a pat on the back for something that happened today. What's that you ask? Well let me tell you.

Magoo and I started attending Kindermusik, and today was our second class. We both enjoy it and it's just really nice to get out of the house and socialize. So in the class we all have a spot on the floor and the kids are free to roam around and get to know each other during certain songs. Well during one of these times Magoo was hanging out with some of the other toddlers there in the middle of the room mostly looking at each other. Well I had noticed one boy (lets call him Jack) a bit older than Magoo (I would say like 15-18 months old) was creeping in on his space but in my head I thought he was just going in for some cuddles... so I watched Magoo's face to see what his reaction was. Well at first it was a face of clear uncertainty, and then confusion. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw the Jack pull his face away from Magoo's back (where I thought he was cuddling) only to see him dive back in and his head start to shake. It was a millisecond before Magoo exploded in shear terror and pain that I realized that Jack was now biting him with all his might, and that he was probably biting him before he went in for the kill shot as well.

Well both me and Jack's mom jumped out of our spots to split them. I took Magoo in my arms for a quick cuddle while I found his soother (which seems to be a great comfort item these days) and got him settled down quick, he is pretty tough anyways. But this poor Mom was absolutely mortified that her boy had just bit mine, and she was very apologetic.

Now some parents might have been really upset even offended that there child had been caused so much pain, but I knew that kind of reaction was pointless, I also realized that it could have been the other way around in another circumstance. My child biting another. And maybe one day it will be. But I sure didn't teach him it's okay to bite, nor would that action go without consequence. So I figured this mom truly just needed a friend and not someone who was about to judge her.

I reassured her that he was fine and that he would be fine, she insisted on checking his back, something I hadn't even done yet, and sure enough there were 4 big welts in his back (they were even there after his bath tonight...). But he really is fine. Needless to say Magoo didn't go far from me the rest of class, which I really don't mind.

 Well not long after the incident Jack went crawling along towards other kids and his now paranoid mother hovered and tackled every time he got close. It wasn't long before he made his way over our direction, which she was very quick to pull him back. Well I told her it was okay and that this would be a good time to teach Jack and Magoo something and to let him come over. So he crawled right over to my leg and looked like he was about to bite it, but before he could I gently reached for him and asked if he wanted to play with Magoo. He never did bite me, instead he stood up facing Magoo and I took one of Jack's hands and one of Magoo's hands and took it to the other boys arm while saying "be gentle" and rubbing each others arms for them. I think it was a success, I even think both Jack and Magoo learned something.

I read this blog post a little while back and it has great insight on how we should treat others, people we know, people we don't know as well. We need to have patients with those around us and take the time to learn... together. To serve others. And to be prepared to bring blessings to other peoples lives.


This is a quote from the above mention blog:
"I think we should just try to imagine it………that when a friend is quiet…or not showing up to stuff she usually shows up to….or acting a little “off”….or a family member is wearing pajamas to the grocery store for weeks on end……or not answering the phone…..or the lawn is not mowed…..IT IS A SIGN. It is not a sign that can be read in words and letters, but it is a sign that someone needs to be treated gently…that they need help….most of all, that they need love, understanding…and that they DEFINITELY DO NOT need to be judged."
I choose not to keep many pictures of him not so happy cause seriously... tare my heart out.

1 comment:

Scott and Tara said...

LOVE that link you posted on here. What a great little story and post to really think about. It is so true though, you never know what others are going through and we just need to be nice to everyone. Thanks for sharing. And Mr. Magoo is very cute and handled the situation perfectly.