I decided that this blog was in serious need of a post of a different topic! So I thought I would introduce you to some friends that we've made since living here in Regina. And as weird as this may sound they have actually been living with us...
The first time I ever met them was one evening in our old apartment as I was getting dinner ready, and if I can remember right we were feeding the missionaries that night as well.
Well the recipe I was making called for cornstarch, so I opened by box of cornstarch and to my surprise saw a bunch of little bugs, a bit smaller than an ant with little dark red shells. Well I am not one to care about that kind of thing too much, to me insects are like whatever. So being in the crunch I was in and didn't have time to make something else or go buy more cornstarch I just picked them out as much as possible then used what I needed and threw the rest out. Although I am positive a few ended up in the food, I didn't tell the missionaries and I only told Jared after we ate... haha, and yes I did eat the food myself. I saw it as a little more protein.
I bought a new box of cornstarch, dumped it into a ziploc to have it all sealed from these pests and only ever saw one or two in the cupboard for the duration of our life in that apartment.
Fast forward to our new, much more awesome apartment...
Remember last month when my sister came to visit me, right around my birthday. Well we happened to once again be making dinner, which included rice. Well I discovered these little bugs again, although definitely DID NOT tell Emily about the discovery until AFTER she ate dinner (she has a thing about bugs...). Well after she left I started discovering them in more places, like my flour, and oatmeal. Well we decided it was all a little much and there is a point when you draw a line and you don't cross it.
So we threw out the little bits of flour and rice we had left, bought new stuff but this time put them into buckets (in hopes to keep out the bugs). Well apparently I didn't buy buckets that sealed tight enough cause we found them...again... all over the place... and I finally lost it!
I was finally getting the creepy crawlies from seeing these things all.over.my.food. plus the thought that we would be welcoming a new baby into the house soon and I couldn't take it. So I called out rental management people and told them I had a bug problem and needed them. asap.
The maintenance guy came over, took a look and told me they were "cereal bugs" and that they were totally normal, and fine to share your home with!!!!
WHAT!? NO! this is totally NOT normal or okay I reassured him, although he refused to do ANYTHING about it! He even claimed that these bugs live in every bag/box of flour/rice/cereal (really anything made from flour products) that you buy from the store...
so not true, to me he just made himself look like a big idiot and made me feel really annoyed.
Bah.
So I looked them up myself: Cereal Bug, Googled (we have the first one listed)
And basically I have to clean out my pantry and throw out anything that has these bugs in it, then wash my cupboard really well, hello raid! and then buy all new food, plus containers for it and we should be in the clear...
So basically waste a bunch of food, spend a bunch of money, and then spend some more money... fun times.
Good thing I will have my Mom here in like no more than 10 days, and she has already volunteered to help this poor student family out. Cause I just can't take living with these little critters anymore. They have crossed the line!
And with that being said. We Love visitors, so come visit anytime!
Also I would just like to say to my bro Riley, who I know frequents this blog, that even though you live and eat bugs while you are in Madagascar, it doesn't make me a wimp, or this situation any less gross...

2 comments:
OH NO! They sound horrible. I never say them when we lived there. Last summer we had a beetle problem but we raided the outside of the apartment and the problem was solved. And the first summer we were there we had an ant problem, but that was cleared up with some traps put out by the maintenance guys. Luckily both those issues only were in the living room, never moved to the kitchen or bedrooms. We did see a bunch of bugs in the bathroom and on the carpet every once in a while. I guess they are a normal regina thing... called like carpet bugs? Hope you solve the bugs in your food issue fast though! Good luck!
They look likev weavels! And they ARE a pain. We had them once before. And you have to do exactly what you did - throw out all your stuff and start over. A pain really, but those little guys will get into everything once you've got them. Hope they don't come back!
Post a Comment